Lean Green Event Machine
But we really went green last month in London with The Planet Mark when delivering their inaugural awards.. and now there is no turning back.
The Planet Mark have green blood. Every single decision they make is thought through carefully and the impact on our environment considered. If it doesn’t fit their ethos, values and purpose, they don’t do it.We have learnt many valuable lessons over the past few months, and here are just a few of them:
- We carefully selected a venue with a robust environmental policy- step forward – Sadler’s Wells
- We banned single-use plastic at the event, before it was named 2018 word of the year!
- Printing was kept to a minimum and was only produced on fully recycled stock
- We didn’t produce any one use branding items instead sponsors brought the banners they already owned
- All catering was vegetarian and vegan (did you know that the way most animals are reared for meat consumption isn’t sustainable?)
- The trophies were made from sustainably sourced wood shipped to the UK from carefully managed forests in the US by boat.
- Essential taxis for a few VIPs were booked with Green Tomato cars…
- Our team even walked 30mins from our train station arrival point to the theatre. No taxis for us.. not even the green tomato variety.
I could go on.
The resounding message that Sir Tim Smit shared with us through his inspiring keynote, was that we are simply custodians of our children’s future. We must nurture it and protect it for them. It’s our duty.
Steve Malkin, the CEO and founder of The Planet Mark gave a rousing account of his own early recognition of the need to make a difference in his time on the planet. The certification they award to their holders, backed by the quite renowned Eden Project, is meaningful and not easy to obtain and retain.
The Planet Mark provide a detailed certification process for businesses to aim for. No stone is left unturned. They are even turning to social value measurement to ensure the certified holders do good for society, not just for the planet.
The green and sustainable movement is here to stay, and is growing in strength and impact. It’s not just a few environmentalists who are adopting this way to live, work and do business as it may have been a mere 20 years before, it is now a movement of many. The few there at the start of this revolution are leading the way and inspiring others to come with them.
We are certainly inspired and we will continue to ensure that our events do good. It’s our children’s future we are all responsible for after all.
To find out more about The Planet Mark certification programme visit their website.
Posted on November 16, 2018